Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mick Jagger & Marianne Faithfull SISTER MORPHINE


"Sister Morphine" is a song originally released as a single by British singer Marianne Faithfull and later popularized by rock and roll band the Rolling Stones, found on their 1971 album release Sticky Fingers.

The song, with lyrics by Marianne Faithfull and music by her former boyfriend Mick Jagger, was written in Rome in 1968. The song is said to be about a dying man's harrowing pleas for morphine:

“ The scream of the ambulance is sounding in my ears. Tell me, Sister Morphine, how long have I been lying here? What am I doing in this place? Why does the doctor have no face? Oh, I can't crawl across the floor. Ah, can't you see, Sister Morphine, I'm trying to score. ”

Faithfull was a frequent user of drugs at the time, but would become a full-blown addict by the time this song appeared on Sticky Fingers. She also released a version of the song as a single in 1969. However due to the contentious lyrics (namely drug references) it was banned, and therefore sold poorly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home